The National Service Scheme units of IGIDS (Department Of Public Health Dentistry) & KGNC, along with HelpAge India-Puducherry , on 31st March 2015 conducted “HUG- Help Unite Generation”, programme at 2nd Floor Lecture Hall, MGMC, Pillayrkuppam, Puducherry. In this program 100 BDS students,50 B. Sc. Nursing students and 50 elders participated. Dr. KR. Sethuraman, Vice- Chancellor,SBV University was the chief guest and addressed the gathering. Dr. Carounanidy Usha, Principal- IGIDS; Mrs. Sumathy- Professor, KGNC gave the felicitation address. Dr. Sathiyababu, DD-Helpage India, briefed about the HelpAge India organistaion and the need of HUG Programme.
The salient features of the program were
- The importance of elders for a valuable society and caring them was explained for the young generation through AV presentations and statistics.
- The motto of this programme was to break the stress and isolation factor of the elders in Care taking homes and provide relief by interaction and entertainment.
- HUG – Band was worn for elders by the students, as a symbol of uniting generations
- Students had an one on one interaction with elders, with mutual sharing of thoughts.
- Cultural programmes were performed by IGIDS & KGNC students to entertain the elder people