The department is equipped with highly trained and experienced faculties from various prestigious universities across India. The faculties are dedicated to the academic progression of students and achieve excellence. We build academic knowledge and clinical confidence among students in managing any given case.
The students are trained to diagnose and manage patients with common dental and orofacial disorders, oral mucosal lesions, salivary gland disorders, TMJ disorders, Psychosomatic disorders, oral cancer, patients with systemic diseases etc
The students are trained to perform chair side investigations, biopsy, etc.
In Maxillofacial Radiology Department, the students are trained to interpret intraoral radiographs, extra oral radiographs, panoramic radiograph, and TMJ views. The students are also trained in advanced imaging like cone beam computed tomography, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasonography, Positron emission tomography, radionuclide imaging, sialography and various advanced imaging modalities.
Students are trained to use the CBCT software and tools in virtual implant placement.
The Oral Medicine and Radiology Department, Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, operate with the following goals.
- To train students in achieving expertise in clinical diagnosis and manage various oral and maxillofacial conditions like orofacial pain, salivary gland disorders, temporomandibular disorders, oral cancer, patients with systemic diseases, psychosomatic disorders, etc.
- To train students in understanding the concepts of basic and advanced imaging in the head and neck region and making them competent to interpret maxillofacial radiographs, CT, PET CT, MRI, USG, etc.
- To diagnose, evaluate and manage oral mucosal lesions, potentially malignant disorders, orofacial pain conditions, oral cancer, TMJ and salivary gland disorders, patient’s with oral manifestations of systemic diseases and medically compromised individuals.
- To be proficient in the history taking, clinical examination, interpretation of laboratory and radiographic examinations for diagnosing orofacial and systemic disorders.
- To practise an expertise in the pharmacologic management of patients with dental and orofacial conditions.
- To know the principle and practice of intraoral and extra oral advanced imaging.
- To practice evidence based preventive care and treatment regimens in the management of orofacial disorders.
- To train post graduate students in applied basic sciences, research methodology, study designs and biostatistics and conduct research of clinical relevance.
- To generate critical thinking in clinical evaluation and evaluation of scientific literature.
- To organize and conduct epidemiological studies and dental screening camps.
The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Indira Gandhi Institute of Dental Sciences, Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, is fully equipped with more than 24 dental chairs, separate UG and PG section, Department library, Seminar room, separate PG room and Faculty rooms. Maxillofacial radiology Department is equipped with digital panoramic machine (Orthophos Sirona XG), Radiovisiography and three intraoral periapical machines. All the radiographic machines are regularly subjected to quality assurance through Avanttec, Chennai and have obtained eLORA from AERB.
Sterilization is our priority and all the diagnostic equipments are fully sterilized with department sterilizer. The extraoral films are developed with manual and automatic processor (Velopex).
Principles of Diagnosis
- Practice of Oral medicine
- Evaluation of the Dental Patient :Diagnosis & Medical Risk assessment
- Diagnosis & Management Ulcerative, vesicular, and Bullous lesions
- Red and white lesions of The oral mucosa
- Pigmented lesions of the Oral Mucosa
- Benign Tumours of the Oral Cavity
- Oral Cancer
- Salivary Gland Diseases
- Orofacial Pain & Temporomandibular disorders
Principles of Medicine
- Diseases of the Respiratory tract
- Diseases of the Cardiovascular system
- Diseases of the GastroIntestinal system
- Renal disease
- Haematologic diseases
- Bleeding & Clotting disorders
- Immunologic diseases
- HIv, AIDS & Sexually Transmitted diseases
- Transplant medicine
- Infectious diseases
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Endocrine diseases
- Neuromascular diseases
- Radiation Physics, X Rays and Dosimetry
- Radiation Biology
- Projection Geometry, Principles of Radiographic Techniques- IntraOral and Extraoral
- Radiographic films and Accessories
- Advanced Imaging
- Diagnostic Radiology and Interpretation
- Imaging of TMJ
- Implant Imaging
- Diagnosis of Caries, Periodontal Infections, Cysts and Tumours, Systemic Disorders.
MDS syllabus – Essential Knowledge
MDS syllabus – Essential Knowledge
The MDS essential knowledge includes basic medical subjects, oral medicine, clinical dentistry, management of medical emergencies, oral radiological techniques, interpretation and diagnosis of orofacial disorders.
PROCEDURAL AND OPERATIVE SKILLS
- Examination of Patient – Case history recordings – 100
- FNAC – 50
- Biopsy – 50 Observe, Assist, & Perform under supervision
- Intra – Oral radiographs : Perform an interpretation -500
- Dental treatment to medically compromised patients – 25 Observe, Assist and perform under supervision
- Extra –oral radiographs, digital radiography – 25 Observe, Assist and perform under supervision
- Giving intra muscular and intravenous injections
- Administration of oxygen and life saving drugs to the patient
- Performing basic CPR and certification by redcross
- All the above
- Performed independently – Case history: Routine cases – 100
- Interesting Cases – 25
- Intra-oral Radiographs – 100
- Periapical view – 100
- Bitewing view – 50
- Occlusal view – 50
- Extra – oral radiographs of different views – 100.
All the students shall complete the minimum quota for the teaching and learning activities as follows:
|1||Journal Clubs||5 in a Year|
|2||Seminars||5 in a Year|
|3||Clinical Case Presentations||4 in a Year|
|4||Lecture taken for Undergraduates||1 in a Year|
|5||Scientific Paper / Poster Presentations in State / National Level Conference||4 paper/posters during three years of training workshop period|
|6||Clinical Pathological Conferences||2 Presentations during three years of training period|
|7||Scientific Publication (optional)||One Publication in any Indexed Scientific Journal|
|8||Submission of Synopsis||One Synopsis within six months from the date of commencement of the course|
|9||Submission of Dissertation months||One dissertation within six before appearing for the university examination|
|10||Submission of Library Dissertation||One dissertation within eighteen months from the date of commencement of the course|