This department deals with the study and correction of teeth and jaw related abnormalities that mask the function and facial appearance both in adults and in children.The UG department has 16 dental chairs and units fully electrically operated with all doctors’ stands functional and as per DCI norms. This department consists of clinical department, head of the department room, store room, UG wire bending area for III & IV year and UG clinical laboratories.The department is equipped with all the requisite clinical equipments necessary for day-to-day clinical services.
The goal of the department is to achieve functional efficiency, structural balance and esthetic harmony through various orthodontic treatment procedures to the patients of the hospital and to extend the services to the underprivileged and to train the undergraduate and post graduate students in this discipline aiming to impart knowledge, research attitude, skill, empathy and ethical principles to them in order to rehabilitate the patient to optimal overall health and comfort.
The primary objectives of the department are to
Provide fixed and removable orthodontic treatment to correct various underlying malocclusion and also extend services to the underprivileged and inaccessible lot in the neighborhood areas.
To train undergraduate students in the basics of above mentioned objective and guide postgraduate students to excel in this specialty and develop the scientific research oriented approach in all treatment options.
To provide laboratory facility for fabrication of various removable orthodontic appliances.
The department has necessary facilities and is well equipped with requisite clinical instruments used for the regular clinical services in form of fixed appliance orthodontic pliers set with stand, arch tuner with torque, cheek retractors, diagnostic aids, boon gauge, photographic mirrors, bracket positioners , mouth mirror, probe & tweezers, illuminative magnifying glass, removable orthodontic pliers, acrylic stones for lab, burs of all types, Plastic / metal dentulous trays, rectangular trays large, kidney tray, small rectangular trays small, rubber bowel & spatula and cotton holder.
This department has an excellent museum with sufficient teaching models, intra oral appliances and extra oral appliance teaching charts required for the students to refer during their academic sessions.
The seminar room of 650 sq. ft. is fully air conditioned, with 30 cushioned chairs and requisite audio-visual aids in the form of wall mounted LCD projector with screen and green board.
The laboratory is spread over an area of 650 sq. ft. for UG & PG plaster lab along with a provision made for PG clinical laboratory separately.
PG Department Equipments
The PG department has all the clinical equipments needed for academic and clinical services in the form of hydro solder unit, spot welder, distilled water plant, needle burner, ultra violet cabinet, lathe, light cure unit, ultrasonic scaler, laser unit, airotor hand piece and model trimmer.The PG clinical department needs to be equipped with pre clinical wire bending area, library area, record room, cephalometric tracing area, research and computer room in the future.
- Demonstrate understanding of basis sciences relevant to speciality
- Describe etiology, pathophysiology, principles of diagnosis and management of common problems within the speciality in adults and children
- Identify social, economic, environmental and emotional determinants in a given case and take them into account for planning treatment
- recognize conditions that may be outside the area of speciality/ competence and to refer them to an appropriate specialist
- Update knowledge by self study and by attending courses, conference and seminars relevant to speciality
- Undertake audit, use information technology and carryout research both basic and clinical with the aim of publishing or presenting the work at various scientific gatherings
- Take a proper clinical history, examine the patient, perform essential diagnostic procedures and order relevant tests and inter prêt them to come to a reasonable diagnosis about the condition
- Acquire adequate skills and competence in performing various procedures as required in the speciality
Human values, ethical practice and communication abilities
- Adopt ethichal principles in all aspects of practice
- Professional honesty and integrity are to be fostered
- Patient care is to be delivered irrespective of social status, caste, creed or religion of the patient
- Develop communication skills, in particular and sill to explain various options available in management and to obtain a true informed consent from the patient
- Provide leadership and get the best out of his team in a congenial working atmosphere
- Apply high moral and ethical standards while carrying our human or animal research
- Be humble and accept the limitations in his knowledge and skill and to ask for help from colleagues when needs
- Respect patient’s rights and privileges including patient’s right to information and right to seek a send opinion